I decided to post a few of my projects that are not doll clothes so that you won’t be underwhelmed by my productivity. Most of these projects are sewing, but I’m also painting some furniture and picture frames this summer—and fall, it would seem. I like to photograph anything that turns out pretty. I have a separate tab above for Other Projects. This type of post can always be found under this tab.
I’m proud of this little romper that I made for my friend Shawn’s baby Maxwell. I’ll admit that I’m not good at estimating the size of anything. I’m famous for storing a small serving of leftovers in a family size container. For baby Maxwell, I’d decided that too big would be better than too small. I used Butterick 5625 that’s sized from NB-Sml_Med. This baby was born last January, but he was at least three months early. I’m obviously not going to start counting months in January to guesstimate size. I figured that if the baby were born on his due date—-which had been in April—-he’d be four months old now, and hopefully this six-month romper would fit him by September. The weather will still be plenty warm here. I know he’s been gaining a bit over a pound a month.
I’m pretty happy with the results of this romper. This is my first time creating an appliqué; and this is my first time using a pre-made cotton strip of snaps for the diaper area. I was able to find a cute alphabet sampler on a DIY site for appliqués. I love these two fabrics combined. Here comes the crème de la crème of this outfit:
This little hat is so cute. The pattern didn’t call for lining, but I wanted to match the romper, and I don’t like things sloppy on the inside. The top of the crown was begging for a matching covered button, so I added that as well.
To be clear, I didn’t expect the romper and hat to fit Maxwell. I thought he could probably wear it by the end of September when it’s still nice and hot in the California San Joaquin Valley. We tried this outfit on Maxwell, and, unfortunately, he’s swimming in it. I will see if Mama will let me post some photos when the hat and romper finally fit properly, maybe a year from now???
When my grown son was a baby, I made him some overalls. They turned out cute until I added the snaps at the bottom. At that time I used the grommet type snap that you squeeze into the fabric with a gizmo that resembles a big hole puncher. I tend to shy away from using snaps or eyelets because they can easily get pulled out from fabric that is not tightly woven, and if you make a mistake, you cannot fix a hole that is the wrong size or in the wrong place. I was very happy with my results until I tried to snap the overalls together. I had placed the bottom snaps on the inside of the romper, instead of the outside. I don’t know if you can picture this, but this was a mistake that I could not fix.
During this time period I had planned to make matching gingham shirts for father and son. I made the father shirt first, and the first day he (my ex) wore the shirt, he put a pen in his pocket that leaked all over the shirt. I did not follow through with the baby shirt. And I never tried to make baby boy clothes again until now. I’m super happy with this romper and hat. I just wish that they fit.
I purchased this fabric at Joann Stores. I was surprised to find very few cute prints for little boys that were not flannel. Selecting fabric for baby clothes—especially boys—is an art itself. I roamed around the store for over an hour, trying to find a print that was small enough for a little person and sweet enough for a little baby. When I brought the fabric home and took it out of the bag to shrink it, I noticed that the reds in both fabrics don’t match as well as they did under Joann lighting. I can drive myself crazy with details. I’m still happy with the fabric combo.